[TowerTalk] Climbing

Doug Westacott ve6pr at canada.com
Mon Sep 20 18:43:51 PDT 2010

Gentlemen

As per my previous response on this subject...fall arrest cables are specified to be installed at anchors rated at 5000 lbs force....

The rocket scientists/government regs, CSA, OSHA etc up here demand an 8.75 kilo newton anchor per climber...

My math works it out that 2 climbers can safely be on one cable...with ease...

Anyway...the way I see it...I have met alot of HAMS that all own climbing belts of various descriptions...however when I call on them to come up their tower to give me a hand...they all decline....maybe its a status symbol to own a belt ?????

As far as the USA and Canada are concerned... the Federal/State/Province regs, in reality, are pretty well the same... of course none of these apply to us HAM's and most times on the local jobs I do for the fellows I m glad they don't...

Doug

VE6PR