[TowerTalk] yaesu g-450a rotor troubleshooting tips

Alfred Frugoli ke1fo at arrl.net
Tue Sep 21 18:54:04 PDT 2010

Hi folks,

I'm getting some maintenance out of the way, with the hopes of operating
some in CQWW RTTY to gear up for the other two modes.  Last spring I rotated
my antenna towards JA, and then it has stayed there all summer.  When I went
to the shack about a month ago, the rotor would not turn (when I press the
"left" or "right" button, not only is there no azimuth indicator movement,
but the antenna does not turn either - just to be clear).  I knew that the
lawnmower guy had gotten a little too close to the base of the tower, and
that there might be damage to the rotor cable.  There was a spot where the
outer jacket was damaged, and some of the individual insulation was removed
(I could see bare copper on a few wires), but it did not look like any wires
were broken.  Tonight, I cut out this "skinned" section out and spliced the
cable together.  Unfortunately, there has been no improvement.  I seem to
remember that when the cable is disconnected from the rear of the control
unit, the needle returns to a "default" position.  When I pull the cable,
there is no needle movement.  Am I remembering my g-800?  Or does this
happen on the 450 too?  Might I have something going on in the control unit?
 I do not believe that the rotor is up against one of the stops, although it
is in "overlap".

Any help would be appreciated.

73 de Al, KE1FO

K3 #3055