[TowerTalk] How to support a large loop?

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 22:14:45 PDT 2010

I want to thank everyone for the many very good suggestions.

I actually ordered the flex-weave on purpose.  I have #14 hard drawn
insulated wire and tried to get the 80M Delta loop up with it,  but it is a
bear to get up through the Lodgepole pines. Once It takes a bend or kink in
the branches, it is too difficult to work with.  One of the Grand Mesa
contesters who lives up here in the mountains advised me that we rarely have
radial ice up here.  We have that famous dry powder snow, and only find a
bit of ice in the Spring. Most of my operating up here has been in the
Summer with brief stints in the winter during the kid's school breaks.  Now
that they are both in college, I'll have more time for contesting and
antenna experimentation.

I'm going to try the sailing pulleys together with doubled bungees for a bit
of elasticity.

I'm going to be feeding this loop with ladder line directly into one of the
ATR-30's here in shack. I'll post my results here as a matter of interest.

I'm also installing a phased vertical array for 40M with elevated radials.

73's from 10,000'

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW/Ø
Breckenridge, Colorado 80424