[TowerTalk] securing loose element ends

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Sep 23 22:19:32 PDT 2010

On 9/23/2010 10:54 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> <snip>
> ##  Much easier to just use .058" wall tubing, and just go up in 1/8" steps.
Agreed, if you are building one.
>    My 20m els
> use    3/8"  1/2"  5/8"  3/4"  7/8"  1"  1.125"     The 1.125" stuff is double wall.   ZERO
> vortex shedding,
Actually the vortex shedding still exists, but without the major change
in diameter and short overlap the element is no longer subject to the
effects of the vortex shedding.  IOW the swaged part has a very short
overlap that adds leverage to the element end without the damping or
support of "slip joints" where one section just slides inside the other.
The "slip joints" are just plain stronger and less prone to vibration.
>   hurray, success at last.    If ele truss lines are used, like on some 40m
> eles, and also booms, the truss line will kill the  vortex shedding.
>
> ## Roger, how did you manage to strip out a SS hose clamp ?
Just a plain old Excelite nut driver...The small one that comes in a
set, not the larger Yellow handled ones.
> I have never see one strip
> ever.  I only use  Tridon  SS hose clamps [ made in the usa] .  I only  use a nut driver, and crank em
> as tight as I can, and NEVER use a  small socket wrench, open end wrench, etc.
Same here.

73

Roger (K8RI)