[TowerTalk] Tower Permitting

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 25 13:00:22 PDT 2010

David Gilbert wrote:

> Do all of those restrictions make sense?  Probably not ... private
> bureaucracies are just as onerous (well, almost) as government
> bureaucracies ... but I'll bet knowledgeable people could link every one
> of those restrictions ultimately to either a perceived liability or cost
> issue.

I'd take it a step further.. I'd bet that just about everything in the
electrical code is there because something actually went wrong and
something burned down, someone was electrocuted, etc.   The code making
panels are full of people who have a genuine appreciation of the
tradeoffs between imposing a rule and the cost of compliance.

Now.. local land use restrictions (zoning, etc.) and the permitting
process is another story...

That's where you're supposed to be able to explain why YOUR particular
situation doesn't need to meet the code.. they are, after all, the
"Authority Having Jurisdiction" and they can either impose additional
requirements or grant waivers.  Most building officials I've met have
been fairly reasonable folks, within their own constraints, but you have
to appreciate those constraints.