[TowerTalk] Checking/lubricating pulleys on HDX-5106

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Apr 2 18:37:41 PDT 2011

Several weeks ago I reported hearing popping noises when
raising my tower, apparently due to the cables or pulleys.
I now have it tilted over.  The cables look fine, but I am
going to apply Prelube 6 to them.  The pulley's look fine,
but there is no way to really test the bearings since they
are under tension.  From reading TT archives, it appears that
it would be a huge project to detension the cables just so
I could spin the pulleys.  Can I lubricate them in place?
With Prelube 6 or "3 in 1" oil?  Any suggestions?

Rick N6RK