[TowerTalk] Craning long pieces of tower

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Mon Apr 4 15:23:24 PDT 2011

In the next few weeks, I will be putting tower on top of my new  K0XG
bases.  I'll also be setting the trusses on my new house and I'm  planning on
picking several sections of tower at the same time.

The towers will be Rohn 55 and Rohn 65.  I've picked 90 feet  of Rohn 55 in
one piece and was very comfortable in doing so,  I've also  seen 200 feet
of Rohn 55 lowered in one piece without incident.  I have no  intention of
lifitng that much 55 in one piece.  However, my thoughts are  it would not be
a big deal to pick 100 or 110 feet of 55.  With the 65, I'm  thinking of 120
or 130 feet.  Remember, the Rohn 55 K0XG systems guy  bracket assemblies at
40 and 80 feet weigh around 100 pounds each.  The  Rohn 65 guy rings come
in around 150 pounds or so and will be at around 50 and  100 feet...total of
two for the 65 at that height.  I realize the weight  involved is no big
deal to the crane used in setting trusses and I've checked  with them about
this.

Anybody out there have some personal experience picking either  55 or 65?
I'm ionterested in other people's experiences with  this.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS