[TowerTalk] Need help with a Mosley TA-33 JR

Marc Tessier - VE3TES ve3tes at cogeco.ca
Wed Apr 13 16:54:43 PDT 2011

I recently bought a real old Mosley TA-33JR triband yagi, I am questioning the traps for the driven element, according to the manual it states the traps should measure 13 1/2" long, yet the ones I received with this unit measure approx 12" in length, and also the traps for the driven element is a fair amount larger in dia. for example the traps on the dir and ref are close to 1.25" in dia, while the 2 for my driven element measure close to 2" in dia. I am suspecting that at one point someone fried the original traps and obtained a pair from a TA-33 and inserted these into the mix.

Now for my question, if I can even use these 2 traps, what dimensions should I use for the length of the driven element, the ones from the TA33JR or the TA33?

Seeing as the color coding has long been washed away from the effects of the sun and weather, its impossible to tell for sure just by looking at these traps, but I can tell you that by removing the covers from the traps, I was able to identify the coil windings accurately match that of the TA33.

Marc Tessier - VE3TES
ve3tes @ cogeco . ca

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6039 (20110413) __________

http://www.eset.com