[TowerTalk] Number of radials and length to install ??

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 20:19:19 PDT 2011

On 4/30/11 4:32 PM, W1JCW wrote:
> Hey guys -
>
> I have a 32' vertical I'm installing.
>
> I searched the post files but didn’t see a related msg reply.
>
> What would be a good number of radials to put down and what lengths for 80m - 10m ??
>
> I know there are many schools of thoughts and theory so I figured I would see what I get
> for replies.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 73-
> W1JCW
> John

Assuming you mean laying on the ground or buried

Radials longer than the height of your vertical (i.e. 30ish feet) are
probably past the point of diminishing returns.

More radials are better.

twice as many radials half as long is probably better.

30-60 radials is probably the point of diminishing returns.

so, let's say, you have a 500 foot spool of wire. you could do 16
radials 30 feet long.

or you could do 30 radials 16 feet long.

My gut feel is that the latter is better.  The current at the base of a
vertical is higher, so the current density in the soil near the base is
higher.