[TowerTalk] Inverted Vee

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 4 12:11:38 PDT 2011

On 8/4/11 10:58 AM, larryjspammenot at teleport.com wrote:
> Does anyone actually offer these baluns for sale as already-built units, or as a complete kit, without having to go to each individual manufacturer and order just the pieces?

what kit?  You buy a batch of 2.4" toroids in Fair-Rite #31 mix.   Wind
your coax through it 4 or 5 times.  Done..

If you want more choking effectiveness, use multiple toroids. Either
stack them or do it in series (5 turns through the first one, then 5
turns through the next one, etc.)

I have to say, I've not noticed any practical performance difference
between stacking 4 and winding on the stack vs doing them in a string.
The latter is a bit more unwieldy to handle.  It also has better
performance at high frequencies (at least on the VNA... I haven't
noticed any practical difference)..

These days... I wind some turns on one core up at the antenna, and then
do the same near the rig.

You could also order a bunch of 0.5" ID beads in the same mix, and
string them on the coax, but that requires removing connectors, etc.

Read Jim Brown's tutorial..