[TowerTalk] Yaesu rotors -Length and Gauge of Control Cable Recommended

Jay Kesterson K0GU k0gu at verinet.com
Thu Aug 11 11:29:27 PDT 2011

On 8/11/2011 11:55 AM, Mike Ryan wrote:
> While we are on the subject, I want to place an 800DXA about 175-200ft from
> my station. What GAUGE of wire/rotor cable would be BEST (not minimal OR
> maximum like 10gauge!) to use considering this distance? I don't want to use
> the minimum required, would rather be safe than sorry. -Thanks in advance.
> - MIke

   I have a G-1000SDX with a 300 foot run of #18. Used #18 because I
already had the wire. With a heavy mast (21' x 2" OD x .250" wall steel)
and not a lot of antenna wind load (5 sq feet) it works fine. I turned
the speed down a little as I preferred my 40 foot boom 6m antenna turn a
bit slower.

73,  Jay  K0GU