[TowerTalk] soldering radials

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 05:31:20 PDT 2011

On 8/16/11 3:28 AM, Mark Robinson wrote:
> DXE supply a ring lug. You can crimp and solder the radial wire to the ring
> lug and then you can bolt the ring lug to the plate using the stainless
> steel nuts and bolts supplied with the plate. I would also apply Penetrox to
> the ring lug and bolt threads before you bolt it up.
>

> Mark N1UK
>

> If yes, how can I solder them? Also if I use a DXE plate to atacch the
> radials, I need to solder the wire to terminals, so what type of solder may
> I use?

I wouldn't bother with all that soldering and crimping.

Get 3 or 4 of the ground/neutral bus things at the hardware store for $5
each.  They're aluminum with holes and screws to clamp down on the wire.
  There's nothing special about arranging the wires in a circular
pattern other than appearance.

The ground lug things are a LOT faster.. strip wire, shove into hole,
crank down on screw.  When you're done, a drop of loctite on each screw
to hold them from backing out.  If you're worried about corrosion, cover
the whole thing in paint or noalox.

here's a picture of one in copper
http://www.ecodirect.com/Ilsco-CAN-300-CAN-Ground-Neutral-Bus-24-Taps-p/ilsco-can-300.htm