[TowerTalk] stress in guy wires

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Tue Aug 16 13:10:14 PDT 2011

On 8/16/2011 3:43 PM, HansLG at aol.com wrote:

> I measured ~.75 s on my 100 feet 5/16" steel guy wires (56.6 lb/250 feet)
> which indicates 500 lb. Reasonable?

Pulse counting is an accepted method of measuring guy tension as long as
there are no guy wire appurtenances like insulators.

I have a nice spreadsheet created for EHS wires by Charlie Tomlinson a
few years ago. It agrees pretty well with what you figured.

It's generally recommended that you time 10 pulses (if you can) to get
an average. If the wire is loose you can't get 10 good ones, so you do 5
or whatever. 10 is no problem if the wire is close to being tensioned
properly.

-Steve K8LX