[TowerTalk] Tower spacing

Larry lknain at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 17 14:35:08 PDT 2011

I have 100ft (30m) tower that will have a 3 el 40M yagi and 80M rotatable dipole on it. I am going to put up another tower (probably 70 feet, maybe 80 feet) for a log periodic array for 30-10M and probably a 6M yagi above log. I am also thinking of trying to feed the 100 foot tower for 160M. I do not recall seeing any discussions on spacing of towers. As far apart as possible is probably the best advice of course. These are guyed towers so the guys will dictate some amount of spacing. Any pointers to discussions about tower spacing? Facts? Opinions (humble or otherwise)?

I had thought about maybe trying to space them and feed them as array but I don't think I have enough room for a 2 el 160 array with an appropriate ground field. The towers will probably be in exactly a North-South configuration which is not optimum for most places from here (Europe is about 45 degrees, Asia closer at about 345 degrees, VK/ZL at 240 degrees,  Africa at 90-110 degrees, and South America/Carribean about 150-200 degrees). I have not tried modeling two different top-loaded towers yet (looks hard at the moment). I need to spend some time with ON4UN's book but any thoughts on the array scheme would be welcome.

73, Larry  W6NWS