[TowerTalk] Clothing for climbing towers

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Mon Aug 22 10:44:34 PDT 2011

On 8/22/2011 4:37 AM, George wrote:
> Try some carhart overalls. They look similar and i believe they have insulated and non insulated
> models.

Clothing needs to fit the weather...and you. It needs to be comfortable
and flexible.  Most hams are not going to notice the difference between
the temp at ground level and "up there", but the difference at 100 feet
is usually noticeable and hard to ignore above 200 feet. I don't think
I've ever found it calm at or above 200 feet although I'm sure it is at
times.  Wearing carharts "to me is uncomfortable and takes added energy
to climb wearing them.  Dress in appropriate layers and try to emulate
the "high priced " gear even if the actual stuff is out of reach price wise.

On hot summer days I've often just worn slacks and shirt up to a 100 or
200 feet, BUT a belt (for slacks) can be really annoying and your
climbing gear will often prevent you from reaching into pockets so a
tool bag is a must.  Reaching tools in pockets can be an exercise in
futility at times.  A snug fitting, *stretchy* coverall over a light
weight inner garment that will wick sweat away is ideal, but now we're
starting to get back to the expensive stuff.  Some times it's hot at
ground level and downright chilly at just 100 feet let alone higher.

At my age, my climbing days are pretty well over except for a few short
climbs, but I sure wish we'd had some of today's clothing back when I
was really active.  Actually I'm pretty well grounded for the time being
since nature threw me a curve a couple weeks back and man am I bored!
I'm not supposed to lift over 10#, can't even climb a step ladder or
drive a car for at least the next few weeks even though I feel fine...now.

George NE2I On Aug 21, 2011, at 9:00 PM, Dick Green WC1M
<wc1m73 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You might want to take a look at overalls made for snowmobiling. For
>> something thinner, try mechanic's overalls.
They're a bit more pricey but how about ski gear...

73

Roger (K8RI)