[TowerTalk] Fwd: Want comments on tower installation

HansLG at aol.com HansLG at aol.com
Fri Aug 26 08:29:06 PDT 2011

The idea is that I can inspect the ground connection. I also didn't want to
 have things interfere with my lawn mower. I kept the wires as close to the
rod  as possible, thereby minimizing the inductance. Right? Time will tell.

I have a good amount of old fencing laying around and decided to add  some
"heavy fill" when I refilled the hole. It is more there to stabilize the
ground. You may note that the only concrete is the three "pillars" around the
anchor irons. There is no access for a cement truck and this was my method
to  make a base. Most on the momentum is taken up by the ~4' x 6' granite
slab on  the bottom of the hole.

I used the "falling derrick" to raise the tower. You can see the derrick
laying on the tower in one of the pictures. One guy wire was attached to the
derrick. I added some extra wire to the guy and used a couple of
"come-alongs"  to pull the tower up. A motorized winch would have made it faster but I
had the  time. The "come-alongs" were attached the wire with "dead-ends"
the same type as  I used to fastened the guys to the anchors.

All went very well and I had no major problems during the rection.

Hans - N2JFS

In a message dated 8/25/2011 10:33:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,