[TowerTalk] Protecting ferrites?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 11:27:02 PDT 2011

On 8/30/11 11:06 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 8/30/2011 8:04 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
>> Snelling's book (originally written for Philips, a mfr of
>> ferrites/powdered metal components, as Jim noted) is a great reference,
>> particularly the (hard to get) 2nd edition.
>
> Six years ago, I presented an tutorial on RFI in pro audio at the IEEE
> EMC Symposium in Chicago.  One of the major EU ferrite mfrs had a booth,
> and I discussed my work with the salesmen who inhabited the booth. They
> told me that they had bought all of the publisher's stock of the book
> and given them to their clients.  I hoped that they would send me one on
> the basis of the extensive work I had published. Silly me. :)
>
> I held a copy of the first edition in my hands, and xeroxed a bunch of
> pages. KC9GLI, who was then a prof at U of Chicago, found it in the
> third sub- basement of their library and loaned it to me for my research.

Edwards AFB has a copy in their library..
That's where my photocopied sections came from.

I think that this legitimately falls in the "hard to get" category for
which libraries are allowed to legally make photocopies.  There's a
bunch of restrictions which I don't remember for this process (e.g. I
can't set up as the Jim Lux Research Library, and go to town copying
everything for my friends).