[TowerTalk] Preforms

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Tue Aug 30 12:39:07 PDT 2011

On 8/30/2011 6:36 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:41:52 -0400
> From: "Dick Green WC1M"<wc1m73 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preforms
> To: "'Gregg  Seidl'"<k9kl at centurytel.net>,<TowerTalk at contesting.com>
>
> Preforms are an industry-standard product that doesn't loosen up over time
> if correctly sized and installed. You must have had the wrong size,
> defective grips, or they weren't installed correctly.

Or they had been reinstalled.  Most of these can be reinstalled *once*
but it has to be within a week of so of the first install.  Mine are
going on 10 years.

>   I've got a friend with
> preforms on his tower and they haven't loosened up in 20 years. Mine show no
> sign of loosening up, either. Personally, I think grips are far superior to
> cable clamps,

Cable clamps are a weak point in the cable. depending on the size and
tension cable clamps can reduce the cable strength by as much as 50% and
that is if they are installed properly.

I've seen dead ends on the power line guyed with one cable using a
preform. With severe ice I've seen them stretch the cable and/or even
pull out the anchor, but I've never seen a preform come off one.

>   which can deform the cable, can be installed incorrectly and
> the screws can loosen up over time.
>
> 73, Dick WC1M
73

Roger (K8RI)