[TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 08:12:25 PST 2011

>  I do not wish to hi-jack this thread, but over the years  I have seen
this
same comment repeated about a cable "retaining a set" if  left in the same
position.

>  Why is this a  problem???

    Because it puts a fixed flaw in the cable.  It won't take many moving
cable cycles for it to break so I'd say it's a  potentially fatal problem.

>  I have had my US tower for 12 years, it rests in the  same place when
down,
and stops in the same place when up.....have not  noticed any problems.
Does it matter if the cable stops in the same place  all the time?

    Umm, yes. I don't recommend it because of the set  that the cable takes
- see above. I highly recommend NOT having it  stop at the same spot every
time. Vary the resting spot (up and down) and  you'll spread the wear over a
bigger area, thus decreasing the wear and  increasing the reliability of
the installation.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -