[TowerTalk] "Cable set" failure-US tower answer

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 5 14:57:45 PST 2011

I just got off the phone speaking to US tower in California about this recent thread regarding stopping your tower and different heights to prevent a "cable set" failure.

The representative I spoke to had NEVER heard of such a problem, and said there is no reason to alter the stopping point either up or down on the tower.
It was indicated that IF this had EVER been a problem they would know about it.
The person told me that the towers are specifically designed to be set at whatever height you want, and "you can leave it at that height as long as you want"

There may be those who have other "ideas" or opinions about this, but I am inclined to believe and follow what the manufacturer says.
>From a liability perspective, I doubt they would have answered my question in this way if there were any known risks regarding this issue.

Also, today I moved my tower up a few inches to expose the cable which has been "sitting" on the sheave.....in the same spot, for the last 5 years, and it looks in perfect condition. The cable looks identical to the cable on either side which was not on the sheave. I see no evidence of deformation or compromise.

BTW...I also asked about putting Lube on the cables and, to confirm my past communication about this 10 years ago, the answer from US tower, 15 minutes ago was:
"US tower does NOT recommend putting ANY lubrication on the cables." They did say putting Beeswax on the slides is recommended.

de steve ve6wz
US tower owner for 15 years.