[TowerTalk] Lighnting Protection

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Dec 5 22:46:20 PST 2011

On 12/5/2011 10:53 PM, jd_hudson at comcast.net wrote:
> Whats everyone using for lightning protection for rotor cables (8 conductor) and STEPPIR control cables (16 conductor). I'm looking at the ARRAY SOLUTIONS sets but would like to check out all the other setups, if there are any?
For the rotator I use nothing.  The 45G has been struck at least 17
times over the last 10 years.  IE some one saw the tower take those
hits.  It's a 70-80' underground run from the tower to the house and
about another 12 feet to the control box.  That's roughly 190 feet of
cable.  The tower and stations are grounded by a network of 33 8 foot
ground rods, cad welded to over 600 feet of bare #2. Each leg of each
tower is tied to the first ground rod about 3 to 4 feet out.  The entire
system/station is tied to a single point ground. The only thing that
does not go through lightning arrestors is the rotator cable.

OTOH I would recommend the Array Solutions set up.  I believe ICE also
has one.

73

Roger (K8RI)