[TowerTalk] Zoning question - Putnam County Florida

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 06:03:40 PST 2011

You can fnd the applicable Putnam County code here.
http://www.municode.com/library/clientCodePage.aspx?clientID=11475

There's also the Palatka city code on the municode site.
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=10225&stateID=9&statename=Florida

A quick looks shows no regulation for antenna height at the County level,
but some at the city level - check it out, it appears to exclude amateur
radio towers.

If you live in the unincorporated county, you will likely have no problems
erecting a safely engineer (to Florida Building Code, which includes wind
survivability to EIA RS 222 specific to your area!!)

You'll have no problem in Palatka in a residential zoned area for < 50'.

Florida statute guides the cities and counties. Here's a search result that
contain the state statutes:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?StatuteYear=2011&AppMode=Display_Results&Mode=Search%2520Statutes&Submenu=2&Tab=statutes&Search_String=amateur+radio

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, just amateur radio advice!

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:07 AM, John W <xnewyorka at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Zoning regulations are created by the town, not by the county.
> Secondly, anything anyone tells you, through list or otherwise, is not
> valid.
> Even what the town zoning officer tells you might not necessarily be valid.
> The only valid source for this information is the town zoning regulations
> themselves.
> You should try and find the complete set of regulations online, or go to
> the town hall and buy a copy.
> You will then need to either spend a significant amount of time reading
> them, or else find an attorney experienced in these matters to help you.
> Also, I believe there is an reflector similar to this one specifically for
> zoning issues, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.
>
> If you haven't decided on a specific town yet, then when you have narrowed
> down your preferences to a few towns, you should check the regulations in
> each town and choose the one that is the most conformant to PRB-1.
>
> After reading the regulations, if you can't find anything restricting the
> height of non-commercial antenna support structures, then either you missed
> seeing the restriction because it was buried somewhere you didn't look, or
> else you have been lucky enough to find a town that has no restriction.
> (There are still a few such towns left in the USA, although their number is
> dwindling. If you find one, buy a house there and put up some antennas!)
>
> Also, you should probably buy the book "Antenna Zoning for the Radio
> Amateur" by Fred Hopengarten.
>
> http://www.antennazoning.com/main/page_amateur_radio_antenna_zoning_book.html
> It will help you with your permit application if you need to file one, and
> chances are that you will need to file one.
>
> 73 & GL,
>
> John
> W2ID
>

> >>Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:18:51 -0500
> From: "Telegraphy.com" <trogo at telegraphy.com>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] Zoning question - Putnam County Florida
> To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
>
> I'm thinking of buying a home in Putnam County Florida - is anyone
> familiar with the tower
> zoning regulations down there?
>
> 73
>
> Tony
>

> Tony Rogozinski
> Amateur Radio W4OI - W4AMR - HK1AR - HK1AR/4
> LICENSED FOR OVER 54 YEARS
> EX-N7BG, K5LMJ, K4KES, WA6BOU,
> W6JPC W7HZF, F7BK, VP5AR, VQ9AR,
> OJ0/N7BG, CN2BG, 5V7BG, TY5AR
> 9G5AR, TU/N7BG, ZC4BG, HK3KAV
> HK0/HK1AR and many others
> I've been to 103 Countries

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.