[TowerTalk] Fwd: HDBX-48 figures for 90 mph zone

Edwin Karl edk0kl at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 6 21:41:44 PST 2011

When computing windload, tubular surfaces are 66% of flat also a 30#
tower is talking about 86 mph
(as I recall, been a while since I did this) a 40# is 105 mph. Again, I
am rusty on this stuff, but I know you take
the cross section of a leg or element compute the impact pressure and
multiply by .66 if it's round.

I also recall towers are calculated at 150 (0r 175%) for a safety factor.

Not sure if this gibberish means anything, but to do this right you need
an engineer and data on the
steel the tower was fabricated from. The rivets, not bolts or welding
that connect the pieces need
to factor in.

Remember wind load goes all the way up the tower, not just on the
antenna. The mast and rotor are a factor.
Even the transmission line should be tucked into a corner so as not to
increase the surface area.

Overturn moment gets to be real big on taller towers and sections.
(Think foot pounds). Failure of the bolts
connecting to the stubs coming out of the ground could lead to a bad day.

Of note, I have a pretty substantial tower and antenna (90' AN Wireless
and 22 El Optibeam for HF)
A recent windstorm bend the steel mast for a DB-224 used by a local
repeater, my stuff stayed up and in
one piece. If you are that concerned about the strength of the tower,
maybe the installation should be re evaluated.

73!

ed K0KL