[TowerTalk] Inspecting or even de-icing antennas from the ground

Barry Merrill, W5GN w5gn at mxg.com
Thu Dec 8 08:43:11 PST 2011

NAA at Cutler ME, transmitting on 14.7 KHz to submarines so the RF would
penetrate the water a few scores of feet, in winter, would periodically
stop the CW broadcast, and a sloppy hand key would send "QRX - DEICING"
and they'd go key down for 3-5 minutes with their multiple megawatts to
heat the elements and melt the ice.  Yes, they used towers for antenna
supports, for MILES of wire in the air, added for relevance of this post.

Merrilly Christmas,

Barry Merrill W5GN, EI/W5GN