[TowerTalk] weird coax

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Mon Dec 12 04:29:59 PST 2011

I don't know if i can trust my meters with such a high loss, but i think it is around 150 ohm... but i'm sure that none of the methods i used take into account the high loss.  for instance, the minivna can't measure enough phase shift on reflections to get a lenght or velocity factor, and my mfj meter just reports constant 3db loss regardless of frequency.

I saw some vague references to uses as some kind of probe use, but nothing specific.  i could see that it would act as an attenuator for reflections so you could make measurements without adding distortion to a wave being sampled.  Where i work they have made high voltage measurements on long transmission lines and measured traveling waves on transmission line towers, perhaps this was left over from a long forgotten experiment.

Dec 11, 2011 11:29:23 PM, ai.egrps at gmail.com wrote:

>  This  stuff is
> definitely intentionally lossy, the center conductor is very high resistance
> material like nichrome and only 26-28ga.

I am trying to understand why lossy wire would be wanted.

One use for coax delay lines, was oscilloscopes, so you could see the
part of the waveform it was triggering on. Lossy line would result in
frequency dependent losses, which I'd think would be undesirable.

I see how lossy might be a consequence of the very thin wire needed to
get an unusually high Zo, but not why someone would want to make it
lossy.

Can anyone explain it to me?

If you measured the Zo, that might be a step in the right direction to
identify this coax.

Andy