[TowerTalk] Frestanding Dipole Support - inexpensive

Jack/W6NF vhfplus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:40:13 PST 2011

On 12/12/2011 8:20 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> Search for the 4ft fiberglass military surplus mast sections.  There are
> numerous vendors on Ebay.  You will pay more in shipping than the
> product.  It would have to be guyed.
>
> Mike W0MU
>
> W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net
>

> On 12/12/2011 9:08 AM, Rick Scott wrote:
>> I have a limited lot and want to try to put up a 160 loaded Dipole I have.  In the front of the lot I have a 35-40 tree I can use (Yes I know NVIS, But only looking at 160m States) but in the back I have nothing to hold up the other end with.  I have a Chain link meeting a Wood fence back there, but what ever I use must be free standing.  Dont think it has to be that high maybe 20ft or so.
>>
>> I have a 25ft Push up flag pole in the front yard that would be ideal. It holds a 4x6 flag  really well even with the huge winds we had recently. However, I dont think the wife would like me moving it to the back yard.  Plus the expense precludes me getting another one, after the 746pro and the steppir the ham budget is spent :).
>>
>> So Im down to asking for ideas of what i could use thats
>>
>> A. easy to assemble
>> B. Relatively Cheap.
>>

>> Ideas to ponder are welcome
>>
>> Scotty W7PSK

I use both the fiberglass and aluminum cammo support tubes extensively
and they work well, although the fiberglass does not tolerate UV
exposure over long periods of time. I have used both types for the
vertical section of an inverted-L at 40 feet (a wire parallel to the
fiberglass masts, obviously) and the only warning is that they both sag
significantly when the fully assembled 40-foot length is pushed up
without other support.

There are also nice guy rings available (both metal and fiberglass
types) that simply slip over the narrow diameter of the tubes where they
couple together. My 40-meter 4-square uses the aluminum tube at all four
corners with guy rings at 28-feet and they are absolutely stable. I
generally just tie the Dacron line directly through the holes in the guy
rings with no problems.

The aluminum tubes are available locally (in Reno) but a bit pricey at
about $7.50 each.

Jack, W6NF
Silver Springs, NV
DM09ji