[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain HG-54D and Steppir DB18

Paula Uscian pmuscian at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 12 20:19:17 PST 2011

I would like to install either a Steppir DB18 or DB18E on my tower. The tower is a Hy-Gain HG 54D crankup rated for 16 SF at 50 MPH. I'm inclined to get the DB18 to play it safe with its 10.1 SF of windload. After adding loads for a coax run, controller cable, rotor and mast, I'd still have a bit of a cushion. The DB18E's 12.1 SF I fear may put me too close to the tower limits. Biggest trade-off on 30M between the 18E and 18 is some gain (7 vs. 5.4 dBi) and 20 dB vs. no dB F/B. So not a ginormous loss to go with the DB18, but on the other hand, I don't want to unnecessarily cheat myself out of an additional element on 30M ;-).

Current antennas on the tower are a Force 12 C4-XSL (8.9 SF with 2 feedlines) and a 5 el 6M KLM--precise wind load rating unknown but likely under 3 SF. FYI I tend to treat the tower very conservatively, e.g., cranked down a good amount when not in use.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which Steppir to get. Many thanks.

73 Paula k9ir