[TowerTalk] Grouting a New Tower?

John E. Cleeve g3jvc at jcleeve.idps.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 15:20:55 PST 2011

Good evening gentlemen,

	To add my comment from a generally rain soaked GM. I have just
installed a 60ft crank up Versatower FB 60, this tower has the base section
welded to the base plate. The tower sections are fabricated using tubular
vertical members and solid bracing. Where the tubular members are welded to
the base plate, a drain hole has been drilled through the base plate, at the
centre line of each of the three tube diameters, this will allow any rain
water, to drain out of the tubular vertical members and not accumulate over
time, with the subsequent risk of corrosion, although the tower has been hot
dipped galvanised.

	The manufacturers installation instructions shows a fixing nut on
each screw stud which rises from the base block beneath the tower base, this
leaves about half an inch gap between the top of the concrete block and the
underside of the tower base plate and with no grouting. The base plate is
lowered onto the four studs/nuts and secured in place with more nuts.
Leaving a half inch gap beneath the tower base plate does make sense if
water is likely to drain out of the tower tubes onto the concrete base
block, where it can easily evaporate.

	Sincerely, John. G3JVC/GM3JVC.