[TowerTalk] Mast Steps

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 19 09:43:58 PST 2011

Sailboat mast steps are available.  One style
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=110742&langId=-1
Some nice features - boots can't slip off sideways, and falling items,
lines, coax won't catch on them.

These could work by screwing the step top and bottom to an angle steel
used as the clamp for galvanized  u-bolts top and bottom.  On a sailboat
the mounting screw holes are drilled and tapped into the aluminum mast.
I wouldn't recommend that technique in a alloy tower mast unless the
drilling and tapping was done on a Bridgeport etc.with the right tooling
for alloy steel.  And then there is the stress concentration from the
holes in the mast, not so good.

You could probably this design made to order by a railing shop from 1/4
x 1 1/2' flat bar, weld the drilled steel angle u-bolt cross piece to
them and then get them hot dip galvanized.

There are also cast aluminum fold up mast steps for sailboats, but I
think not such a good idea from a safety perspective.

Grant  KZ1W