[TowerTalk] SWR Problem Balun or lightning protection?

Chuck w5pr at swbell.net
Wed Dec 21 06:10:32 PST 2011

If you have moisture in the coax, it can act like this.  There will be a
high resistance path to ground which will heat up on transmit and reduce in
resistance, causing the SWR to rise.  Test the coax with a digital meter and
you will probably find a meg-ohm or two from the center conductor to ground.
(Disconnect the antenna unless it is a gamma match or other, non-shorted at
DC feed and the balun, depending upon the type of balun.)  If so, replace
the coax.  Good luck!

Chuck W5PR