[TowerTalk] Tower Grounding Questions

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Dec 21 22:01:10 PST 2011

On 12/22/2011 12:16 AM, Mickey Baker wrote:
> RF Connection will sell Cadwelds at a reasonable price and RENT the
> electrical gadget used to ignite them safely without singing your eyebrows
> and far enough away to not breathe the smoke.
CadWelds (TM) come with an ignitor  charge.  I wear leather gloves and
use plain old kitchen matches to fire them. Please note, this is not a
recommendation!<:-))
Last time I just used my oxyacetylene torch.

NOTE: Do not look at the charge as it ignites. You will be seeing after
images for a very long time. They are much brighter than the torch.
Don't bother with a propane torch. If the frustration doesn't get you
and you actually did manage to fire one(the igniter charge lays on top
of the ceramic container) it would be quite dangerous.

Do not wear synthetic shirts or pants around this stuff. Long sleeve
work shirts and gauntlet gloves (as used in welding) would be my choice.

> They're in a breakaway thermal foam enclosure that leaves a nice weld - a
> nice knob in the case of wires to ground rods.
The CadWelds(TM) I had, and still have a few are in ceramic containers
that breakaway.
Come to think of it, I had a full carton and sold them to the ham down
the road who also reads Tower Talk.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm

73

Roger (K8RI)