[TowerTalk] "Made in USA" Was: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 108, Issue 71

Alan NV8A nv8a at charter.net
Thu Dec 22 08:15:41 PST 2011

I forget now what electronic device it was, but one device I opened up
was marked "Made in USA" on the outside while the only thing in the case
was a PC board marked "Made in China." Was only the case made in the
USA? Was final assembly (does that mean "made"?) in the USA? Was only
the board itself made in China, but it was populated and mounted in the
case in the USA? What do the markings mean any more?

As for postage/shipping charges. Compare the wages of a USPS employee
with those of a Chinese postal worker. And US companies often charge way
over the actual shipping cost: a few years back we ordered a replacement
part for a small appliance; the S&H charge was $6 or $7 but it came by
US Mail in a padded envelope with a stamp for little more than 50 cents.

73

Alan NV8A