[TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Fri Dec 23 21:08:28 PST 2011

Maybe a nit, or maybe not, but transmission line VSWR is determined solely by the ratio of the characteristic impedence of the feedline to the antenna feedpoint impedence.

Adding a matching circuit at the transmitter (tuner) or adjusting the length of the feedline such that a 50 ohm resistive impedence is presented to the source does not change the VSWR in the feedline.  Yes, the VSWR between the source and the tuner will be 1:1, but the VSWR in the feedline will remain unchanged.

At HF with decent coax (or open wire line) we normally don't care too much about the absolute number as long as it's a "reasonable" SWR.  Just don't be fooled into thinking that just because a tuner does its job that the VSWR on the transmission line is 1:1.  It's not.

Al
AB2ZY