[TowerTalk] Used Heliax ?

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Dec 24 20:17:02 PST 2011

On 12/24/2011 4:45 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 12/24/2011 1:35 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
>> The only problem with 7/16 is the availability and price of them for RG-8 or
>> other flexible cable.  N connectors for RG-8 sized cable are dirt cheap!
> My standard RF connector is UHF, and I adapt everything else to it.
> I've been able to buy Amphenol adapters with a male N and female UHF,
> but have not found Amphenol adapters with female N and male UHF.  Yes, I
> can find cheap junk adapters, but they fall apart and are cheaply made,
> often with tiny center conductors.
>
> Does any know of a source for good quality N female to UHF male?

Call Davis RF, RF Parts, or the RF Connection.  I know I'm missing
several.  Tell  them what you want such as amphenol or "name brand" high
quality connectors.  You have to tell most distributors you want "the
good stuff" or they will assume that like many hams you want the "cheap
stuff".

RF Parts and probably others have a layout that lists the connector
types, materials, (dielectric and center conductor) so you can get
Nickle or silver plated, gold center pins, and Teflon dielectric. (
http://www.rfparts.com/c-typen.html )

My patch panel still uses N type, but I've had a couple break due to
side pressure from moving equipment pulling the coax to the side.
Except for the UHF connectors to fit LMR-600 I use all crimp style.
I did have some mechanical problems with clamp type N connectors so
started pouring a little Vinyl Ester Resin into them before tightening.
That turned them into a "one time use" connector, but the price is low
enough it's not a problem. OTOH I *never* had one pull apart after that<:-))
N-Type (Amphenol) are only rated for 500 cycles but that is a lot of
times to screw on a connector and remove it. They are rated at 1500
volts peak, but only 707V RMS continuous. Insertion loss is 0.15db max
at 15 GHz IOW not worth even considering at HF and VHF

They do not do well when trying to cover the entire 160 band while
running the legal limit as that means some very high SWR at the band edges.

73

Roger (K8RI)