[TowerTalk] G-1000DXA failure with lower mast clamp

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Dec 27 12:10:12 PST 2011

On 12/27/2011 9:16 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:

Grant has a good idea with the Heli-coils although you *may* have enough
thread left for a secure hold.

Rather than lock washers I'd use medium grade "LocTite". I don't
remember the colors now for the different strengths, but you would be
using it just to keep the bolts from vibrating loose and their strongest
might make it pretty difficult to remove the bolts "in place

> My G-1000DXA rotor came completely unhinged from its GC-038 lower mast
> clamp and left my 3-el Steppir and attached rotor dangling from the
> attached cables.  It appears that the attachment bolts on the bottom
> of the rotor came loose and fell out.  Please see photo at
> http://n1eu.com/g1000.jpg

Although called heavy duty the G1000 at 8# is a rather light duty
rotator. Mast mounted it is only good for 0.75 sq meters or 8 sq ft of
antenna and that is with the antenna mounted right on top of the
rotator. Mounted 2' above the rotator it's only 4 sq ft. The 3L stepper
IR is 8.1 sq foot so you are already slightly over the ratings of the
rotator.

With the bottom of the rotator already damaged and used over it's
ratings I'd have to think twice about using it again for the same
conditions.

With an antenna of this size it would be a good idea to have the rotator
mounted on a mast down inside the tower and not on top of the tower. To
do otherwise is not safe even if it is temporary.
Mounted like this the rotator is the weak point even if the bolts don't
fall out. That antenna is a lot of money just setting on top of a rotator.

OTOH we some times do have to do what we have to do, just remember the
risk.  However if you have no choice but to top mount the antenna I
would do my best to use a rotator rated for considerably more than the
antenna actual wind load. Otherwise if you get much wind it's pretty risky.

73

Roger (K8RI)