[TowerTalk] trees and verticals

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Dec 27 12:17:59 PST 2011

On 12/27/2011 2:22 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> <snip>

> There's a difference between H and V pol as one might expect (thinking
> of trees as lossy conductors).
> Lower frequencies are more affected by wood, not leaves.
> Rain/humidity/water has an effect (more wet = more loss)
> Single trees have an attenuation around 5-20 dB at UHF (860 MHz) CP

Don't forget the conductivity of deciduous trees changes dramatically
from winter to spring.  It's *probably* highest in early spring than it
is in summer for HF and the sap flow is highest in early spring and the
content is different.  However I can only speak for the trees that grow
around here in the frozen North.

73

Roger (K8RI)