[TowerTalk] G-1000DXA failure with lower mast clamp

EZ Rhino EZRhino at fastmovers.biz
Tue Dec 27 13:31:35 PST 2011

Pete sez:

Even when a rotor is mounted on a plate, the bolts can and
do fall out.

Yup, this happened to me.  I noticed my antenna leaning a few degrees off plumb one day, and a closer inspection showed that three of the four bolts holding the bottom of the rotator to the tower's top plate were gone, and the fourth was almost completely unthreaded!  My tower is a tubular crank up; can't tilt it over and can't climb it, so the repair was "interesting".  The rotator bolts to a flat plate (and the bolt heads of the rotator bolts are inside the tower when it is installed, so not real easy to get to).  But I prevailed, and reinstalled the bolts using loctite.  So far so good.

I think a lot of the suggestions on here have been great so far.  Pick one (or two) and get your station back on the air!

Chris
KF7P