[TowerTalk] TX-472 and Ice

K0DAN k0dan at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 11:01:13 PST 2011

Depends on a lot of variables. It's not just the ice, but wind loading upon
the steel + ice + coax + rotor + whatever other forces are acting on the
tower. And of course, did the installation meet mfgr specs (how are they
rated for wind/ice loading), what's the soil like, are the tower footings
intact, etc., etc. The answers to these questions are often educated
guesses.

About 7-8 years ago we had an amazing ice storm, I had over 1/2" radial ice
on everything, and the storm hit before I could lower the tower (TriEx
LM470). Once the ice was on we then got 30-40 MPH winds. It survived (so did
the antennas!), but I was biting my nails the whole time. It took 3 days
before the sun came out, and slowly it all melted and amazingly the antenna
spring back to original shape.

Since that nail-biter, I always try to play cautious and lower "my
investment" when inclement weather is forecast.

Last night, as the storm approached I went to lower the tower...there was
already a thin layer of ice on everything. Started the motor and the fuse
blew (usually indicates too big a mechanical load or water intrusion in the
motor relay or starter caps). This summer I did major preventative
maintenance, including replacing the motor caps/relay so I didn't think it
was them. Replaced the fuse and motored the tower UP a little. Fuse didn't
blow this time and then I was able to break a little of the ice free, then
motor DOWN about 3-4 feet, then motor UP, then DOWN, etc. This eventually
broke all the ice free (much of it fell on me) and I was able to get the
whole structure down. Usually a full retraction takes about 6 minutes, last
night it took 20 minutes what with all the UP/DOWN. It's amazing how strong
a thin layer of ice is on all the cables and steel surfaces!

I was lucky...so were you!!!

Looking out the window now it looks like Siberia. I don't expect to do much
operating the next few days!

73

Dan
K0DAN