[TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 1 11:40:27 PST 2011

On 2/1/2011 10:36 AM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Alternately, you can make these out of "monster" speaker cable
> or 12 gauge low voltage sprinkler zip cord

One advantage of THHN is that the insulation is rated for 650 volts RMS.
That yields 1300V between conductors, so the choke will tolerate
significant SWR. A second advantage is cost -- THHN is really cheap,
while those exotic speaker cables are wildly overpriced. A third
advantage is the really nice impedance curve (measured) of the THHN
chokes (nicer than enameled bifilar, and much nicer than coax).  I
haven't measured a choke wound with exotic speaker cable.

73, Jim K9YC