[TowerTalk] Musing continued ----- Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 3 12:32:12 PST 2011

On 2/3/2011 9:45 AM, Tod - MN wrote:

> If one reduces the coax common mode current using a common mode choke,
> should one expect that the 'common mode' component of the current on the
> open wire line above it going to the G5RV feedpoint is also reduced?

The best answer is "usually, but not always." Here's what I wrote
yesterday about that on the RFI list with respect to sticking a choke on
a conductor that might be receiving or re-radiating RF, or coupling to
another antenna.  The original poster was saying that a current probe
could be used to determine the best place to put a choke to do that.
.Everything in my response applies equally to a transmission line.

=   =   =   =   =

Not necessarily. Every wire (or conductor) is an antenna, whether we
like it or not. A good ferrite choke acts like an open circuit, whereas
a poor one (not enough turns) acts like an inductor,  and one with too
many turns can look capacitive. A choke simply ADDS its impedance in
series with the existing antenna. If it's an optimum choke (near its
resonance and a high impedance), it acts like an insulator to stop
current AT THAT POIINT, but if the wire is long enough, the choke might
turn the remaining wire into a half wave and increase the current in
that part of the wire. Ditto with the choke that is L or C -- it simply
shifts the current maxima and minima along that particular antenna.

Bottom line -- measuring (or sensing) current in these conductors is
certainly a worthwhile thing, but it's easy to mis-interpret the results
if you don't view what you see in the light of the fundamental concepts
of antennas.

73, Jim K9YC