[TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet

WA3GIN wa3gin at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 14:15:19 PST 2011

Ground Loss may be less important than the ionosphere's condition at the
time you use the antenna...

If the signal from the NVIS I run was any stronger I get sued by those
locals whose receivers caught fire...The NVIS I use is 18ft above the ground
on 40m and 35ft on 75m which is sand for at least 600ft.

If Jim is looking for high angle short skip on 75m I would expect his should
do fine... I never heard what his goals were for the antenna.

I have a reference dipole at 50ft for both 40m and 75m and it doesn't
perform nearly as good, close in, as the NVIS antennas!!  What I have
learned is that the ionosphere has to cooperate.  You have to know whether
current conditions support 90 degree take off angles. It isn't there all the
time for anyone to use.  There are days when NVIS just is worthless and
during the low sun cycle there is very little support for NVIS but its
starting to pick-up.  So, if you can have a reference antenna then you are
in the best position to make comparisons and search for those times when
NVIS at 1/8 wave above ground will smoke a dipole at 50ft from just a few
miles to several hundred miles out.  That has been my subjective experience
of one.

GO FIGURE!  YMMV

73'
dave