[TowerTalk] Underground conduit question

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 9 08:26:44 PST 2011

For whatever it's worth, a contrarian view.  When we moved here 15 years
ago, I sited my tower about 190 feet from the house, in the woods.  The
only problem was getting the cables across about 70 feet of side yard to
the woods.  I put in 2 runs of ~ 2 1/2 inch plastic utility conduit -
the orange stuff.  Because of rock ledges, I would up laying it less
than a foot below ground surface.

I have had zero trouble with it.  In that time I have moved multiple
cables into and out of the conduit, including two different runs of
hardline, miscellaneous control cables, etc.  The cables have always
come out of the conduit fairly clean and dry.  Most of that I attribute
to a roughly 1:20 slope in the conduit from the house end to the woods
end.  I'm sure that there is water in the conduit from time to time, but
it appears to flow out before any problems arise.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com