[TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259

Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk) k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Fri Feb 11 16:14:26 PST 2011

> I've been using crimp type for quite a while now. As time progresses,
> contrary to Peter, I'm switching over to all crimp type as they are so
> much faster and more secure.  Proper cable  prep, and the proper tools
> are critical.
I forgot to add that the jacket should extend *into* the crimp band up
to, but not into the actual crimp.
I believe there are several web pages that show how the connectors
should fit.  Possibly on one of the suppliers
http://www.bcdxc.org/pl259_crimp_on_connectors.htm covers it reasonably
well, but there are better step-by-step sites explaining how and why the
jacket should extend into the band.   One thing they show is a crimp
type UHF connector with the center pin being soldered which is the way I
do it as well.

BTW that smaller ID of the tip on the center conductor identifies it as
a crimp type.  I've never had a problem fitting the solid center
conductor of LMR-400 through these.  LMR-UF OTOH did require reaming out
the tip enough to remove metal.

73

Roger (K8RI)