[TowerTalk] Recabling US Tower TX-472

Mike noddy1211 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 11 19:02:58 PST 2011

Some of my top section cables are rusty colored on the outside and I sleep
at night because I check them regularly, my measure of how bad it is:

1. Is the cable with rust still as flexible as a new cable
2. I look at the worst section of cable through a magnifying glass looking
for rust damage pits in the strands, I use two pairs of pliers to unravel it
a bit to see the strands underneath (gently).
3. If there is rust on the cable and also a broken outside strands then I
would change it, I would not wait for six to break.
4. You can tell by the feel/flexibility if the cable is shot and needs
changing and of course if you are in any doubt change it.

I also agree with Steve, many people change cables for no good reason except
that it has surface rust, back to number two, check with a magnifying glass.
Even when you saw through a really rusted and pitted cable three quarters of
the inside strands are clean and in good shape.

I always check the cable where the eye has been mechanically splice crimped
on.  Always check the part of the cable that sits on the Sheaves all the
time that the tower is extended.

I have never seen broken strands on a cable that were not caused by some
external damage, if the external damage caused strands to break you would
have to think that even more damage that you can't see may have been done to
the cable internally, so I would defiantly change it.

To be honest I would be more worried about the Sheaves and the rusty bolt
through Sheaves that nobody seems to check, oil or replace.  If the
Sheave/bolt collapse or break down comes the tower section.

Mike