[TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 19 11:48:17 PST 2011

If you get on an airplane, you are trusting your life to rivets, some
are pop rivets.

Here is a manufacturer's website  which covers much of the
engineering.   http://www.cherryaerospace.com/

There are a number of issues with screw and hose clamp fastening systems:

1. As previously posted, screw threads tend to 'worry out holes'.
2. As widely noted, hose clamps are not so great - they loosen, in small
diameters can't be tightened much, increase wind resistance, and create
a dissimilar metal galvanic cell.
3. Not mentioned is the difficulty of drilling holes thru round tubes -
a big problem with screws and rivets
      a. getting them centered and straight through two tubes (three if
sleeved for strength)
     b. getting a round hole in thin material
     c. getting a hole that is on diameter - obviously the larger the
gap between fastener and hole the worse the wear
4. Screws work on clamping force generated friction between material
layers as well as plain shear strength, so how does that work when the
tubes can be compressed?
5. SS screws also create a galvanic cell.
6. Sheet metal screws have so few threads engaged in a thin material so
are very poor for structural strength.

Aircraft rivet fastening processes use a pilot hole of a smaller than
rivet outside diameter followed by piloted core drill which acts much
like a reamer.  This provides a hole that is really round and very close
to a diameter tolerance of less than a couple of 'thou.  You can't do
that with a standard twist drill.  The rivet then expands to fill the
hole, (minimum 'worry") brings the layers being fastened in tight
contact (increased friction) , and provides clamping force that doesn't
rely on compressing a tube (constant over time).  Either the rivet is
solid and bucked from the reverse side so its full diameter provides
shear strength or a "pop" rivet  is used that provides the body shear
strength of the Al plus the retained pull core which can be of several
different materials (steel, Al, SS, Monel).

Why 3 rivets? Redundancy is good. Spreading the load is good. The tubing
has clearance so it telescopes and tightening it to ONE side is good.
The first rivet hole, if drilled and riveted then guarantees the inner
tube(s) won't move when drilling holes 2 & 3.

What is the downside of rivets? - care and the right drill are needed to
get holes on size and round.  Home-Depot rivets are not a good choice.
A tool is needed to install them properly.

So are rivets a process  "do not try this at home"?  - NOT.  While
aircraft piloted core drills are often available on ebay, DeWalt makes a
drill which works extremely well - pilot point drills.  (formerly Black
and Decker Bullet Drills) They produce holes in thin materials that are
round and very close to drill diameter using a drill press, and if care
is used in a hand drill.  Many suitable structural grade pop rivets can
be set using a quality hand tool.

My scratch build 40m Moxon is going together with rivets.

Grant  KZ1W