[TowerTalk] Very very very large loop antenna

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 19 17:50:31 PST 2011

There was a VP2M back in the early 1970's who had a large loop but it was
merely 1500 feet on a side.  He was very loud on both 15 and 20.  He ran
Europe on 20 with ease.

Dave W7FB (Ex W0MHS) also know as "loop skywire"  wrote an article in a 1984
QST.  Another article appeared in 73 back in the 1070's by a young German
ham who studied at Georgia Tech. Both were 80 meter full size and the German
ham said he was able to work Europe on most bands from the Atlanta area with
ease.

Dave helped me load a 380 foot loop on 160.  It worked great out 1000 miles
but was down quite a bit on Europe.  Dave was a big advocate that the big
loop was not fully understood as he said the loop had an elliptical
component.  He had a Fortran program that he ran on the Mainframe at his
work that he says shows this type of pattern.  I found the loop worked great
as a mult antenna on 80 to 10 in contests.

73 Dave K4JRB