[TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Feb 24 10:06:30 PST 2011

 > The same with Force 12  net gain figures.

The Force 12 "net gain" numbers are not field verified.  They are
"model values" derived at a specific height (74 feet) and are the
maximum gain for the antenna - not an average across the band.
In addition to the difference between average and maximum gain -
which was as much as 1.4 dB in the N0AX/K7LXC tests, using a
different height in the Force 12 models will introduce another
error that can be a significant fraction of a dB (do the dipole
vs. 3 element Yagi comparisons for varying heights over high
precision ground in EZNEC).

Since the variations between the better performing antennas in a
given "class" are less than 1.5 dB, the Force 12 "net gain"
figures can not be used for comparison.  In fact, the "net gain"
numbers published by Force 12 for the C3 and C31XR are 15 to 20%
higher than *peak* values given in the the 2nd edition of the
N0AX/K7LXC report.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV