[TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 05:41:40 PST 2011

 I have had "good luck" with individual protectors and consider that a better approach. I have had direct strikes twice in my house (The house was built 199 and I have a good lighting protection) and "only" had to replace the, now, burnt-out protectors. No other damages. Only once did I have an old TV going "99" but it didn't have a protector :-)

If you consider a "whole house" protector you have make extremely well sure that it will protect your house. We have had several discussions regarding lighting protection of the shack from lighting-hits in a tower and the same discussion is valid for the house as well. You have to make sure the damaging surge is correctly lead away from the house and doesn't get some sneaky path through the house. (... something I am not too sure the "trained" installer knows all the time.)

Hans - N2JFS