[TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 3 12:06:04 PST 2011

On 1/3/2011 11:16 AM, David Robbins wrote:
> those two examples are both BAD!

I agree -- both drawings have serious shortcomings.  But the PRODUCTS
are built correctly. :)

The SurgeX drawing shows an improper connection of the green wire -- it
MUST go to the metallic enclosure, not THROUGH the enclosure to circuit
common.  BTW -- remember that since SurgeX works in the pro audio world,
they tend to think of interconnects as balanced and shielded. The
Brickwall drawing shows the connections properly.  Neither drawing
illustrates how the surge blows up interconnected equipment.

Here are links to pdfs of the Power Points that I've used in my
workshop.  The material on pages 8-17 of the Power Systems pdf
(recognizable by its different typeface) was prepared (and presented) by
Andy Benton, Chief Engineer and founding principal of SurgeX, and the
designer of their products.  The drawings do a bit better job of
articulating the issues and describing how various suppression devices
work. The rest of the material is mine.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NSCA-PowerSystems.pdf
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NSCA-Grounding.pdf

73, Jim K9YC