[TowerTalk] US Tower TX-472

John Gager k7kb.dx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 11:22:19 PST 2011

I really appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on the TX-472. Seems the
majority thinks it would be best to go with the motorized version however
when I said yesterday that it only added $1500 to the total cost, that was a
mistake. It actually adds about $2400 to the cost. The TX-472 is $4,119 from
TexasTowers and the TX-472MDP motorized version is $6,599. HRO is about the
same. Then if you add the Tower Raising Winch ($700), plus other
accessories, concrete, rebar, etc., you could easily be sinking $10,000 just
in the tower itself, and that's before you even start thinking about the
antennas :)

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife and after I discussed it with
her last night, she told me that I should get what I want and would be best
for me.

I'm also considering purchasing the 55' TX-455 which would not require the
motorized winch and is only $2400. I think part of my final decision will
depend on how my neighbors feel about the tower. Unfortunately I live in a
residential area so I need to obtain three fall zone easements from my
neighbors if I put up the 472. One of them is my next door neighbor and they
are OK with it. The two in back I don't know so they might have a problem
with the tower. If I only put up the 455, then I only have to obtain an
easement from my neighbor that I know. If I have a hassle getting the
easements for the 472, then that might make my final decision.